Monday, September 09, 2013

Sewing at the Museum

This week I went for lunch to meet some new sewing friends and explore the Exposition Tapis Rouge: La mode au musee. I was complimented on a new sewing project I completed and felt guilty I hadn't been blogging. These friends make me want to blog and share my projects. So encouraging and full of fantastic ideas. 
The museum was great. It showed dresses from several eras since the 1800s that were all designed and worn in Montreal. Some were beautiful classic pieces while others were just art without any function. I did my best to photograph them and I will share with you what I have. 
 This organza was treated with chemicals to give it the swirls.
 those stripes are all meticulously hand stitched with two rows.


 This dress is made out of jute.
 see through dress is wearable art.

I love the way they can tell by the waist and bust that this was made for an older woman and the one below for a younger woman. 

  the lace is all made by hand. 




 Interesting how the zipper doesn't go all the way to the top to interfere with the collar. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting your pictures online! I was looking forward to see them as you seemed well equiped to take good pictures! On some, I can see the details better! (like the handmade lace!) It was fun meeting you! Thanks, Caroline

    ReplyDelete