A couple of weeks ago, possibly months (but who's counting?), a friend of mine entrusted me with a blanket that was irreplaceable. Right there I was terrified to modify it but she was sensible and told me that it was better to be used than sitting in a cupboard. It's a throw of sorts that's cotton and hand embroidered patchwork. She wanted me to open it up and sew a zipper on it to turn it into a duvet cover so she could warm it up.
I went ahead and unstitched an edge looked inside and saw all sorts of frayed edges and the embroidery. It looked a mess so I quickly stitched it up again and put it aside and panicked for a couple of weeks. I made the bathing suit and gained confidence. I had bought a sheet set which included a flat sheet, a fitted sheet and a pillow case. I trusted my abilities, I took the flat sheet and sewed it to the cover with a zipper.
Hopefully I delivered on my promise to make the cover functional for her. We'll see next week.